Wednesday 3 March 2010

The Saatchi Gallery - The Empire Strikes Back: Indian Art Today

One of the other exhibition at Saatchi Gallery was the Indian Art. Which was a very unusual and different experience for me to view. I would say most of the art works that was on display I didn't get out a first glance, would then have to read the description about the art work and the meaning behind it. 
I would say nearly all the art works had such strong and powerful meanings and points that the artist was trying to put across to the viewer and some where reasonable bold and clear, where some of the art work I found a bit to powerful for my understanding about the art work. 
It was a big difference for me viewing the art works and did give a insight of Asian art works. Most of the work I would say was aim about Women, not all in a positive way.  



One of the other works that really caught my eye was the Erude statue - made from Black lead on fiber glass.
419 x 169 x 122 cm
The minute I got up the stairs and turnt to my left the sculpture was there, a huge biconic sculpture of a young boy, which didnt even look like a oung boy at first, as I walked towards it, the bigger it got. The sculpture is of a young boy selling books on the traffic lights like in Mumbai. The feet are shaped like homes, which presents that a nomad whose home is where he lays his feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment