Monday 1 November 2010

Aims for Focus Week 1

One of my aims within this Focus Week is to develop my skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and AutoCAD. Its takes time to learn and get use to each and every one of the software programs.
Learning how to use these software's takes time, good solid days work sitting in front of the computer and teaching yourself how to use an program might sound so boring and dull, but at the end it will be worth the hours of work in front of the computer, and it's an big advantage for you in the future when applying for jobs. Well as designers we have to know how to use these programs, so the dull hours in front of the computer is a must I guess.

So this Focus Week one of the things I'm aiming for is to develop my digital skills, and with the help of Digital Media for Landscape Architecture  book, which should be fun learning the tricks and easy methods in how to use these programs and should save me a lot of time.

The other aim I have this Focus Week is to my reading knowledge, as well as the Internet been helpful and all the information we look for in on the net, I believe books contain much better information plus primary solid information by the author and you are set to understand and learn from the reading rather with the net you just browse and then we intend to forget about it. One of the books I'm so keen to read is A Landscape Manifesto by Diana Balmori an Landscape Architect from the States, the book looks into Diana Balmori's theory and practice of urban landscape and design as an art that spans the divide between culture and nature. And combines the science of ecology with the formal aspects of aesthetics.
Reason why I am keen to read this book is because I'm currently writing an essay on how Landscape Architecture is been defined at the present time, and going to this talk and listening to a person whom has years of experience, it kind of made me think of how I will define myself one day as an landscape architect in my on style of working.

Diana Balmori's talk can also be listened from the Royal Art website. Just click on the Link below. It's worth listening to =) enjoy.
http://static.royalacademy.org.uk/files/balmori-813.mp3

One of the main ways of teaching yourself an learning things is from books, now a days even dough every thing's there for you on the Internet, with YouTube tutorials, step by step  design tutorials layouts, print screens for us on how to do certain things on design programs we all go for the easy options to save time. But we forget about researching for primary information from books, journals, newspapers, reading and taking notes down might be a classic way of learning and taking in information, but I believe it's a way which information is more assimilated within the brain then browsing on the Internet , or we could get so lazy to go to talks, exhibitions and events, which makes our enthusiasm fade away . where also these things will build on our inspirations and knowledge on our design works and within the career path we're taking,






No comments:

Post a Comment