Tuesday 30 November 2010

Anish Kapoor - Turning the World Upside Down

Anish Kapoor sculptor, whom amazes people each time with his sculptures, his work does not have any limitations of scale, materials, structure or imaginations, which gives his work a powerful aspect. His an artist with no fear to express his feelings, influence or inspirations. His audience's are set to question his work and think deeply of what it represents, in a way he challenges his audiences imaginations and thoughts.
His latest work in Kensington Gardens ''Turning the World Upside Down'', with four sculptures around the garden, The Sky Mirror, which measures 10metres in diameter, giant C-Curved Mirror, Sky Mirror Red one of Kapoor's first work to placed in water, Non-Object (Spire) which is located between trees on its own. All sculpture's were distanced from one a other. I will say I was fairly disappointed once I saw the sculpture's, knowing Kapoor's work and the drama, character he adds to his work I will say I didn't see much or feel much with these pieces of work of his. I found these sculpture's very simple and plain to address it as works of Anish Kapoor. Comparing these to his work I saw at the Royal Academy of Art's last year,his work tat the exhibition  I will say could easily be defined and interpreted as his work. Where these four sculpture's I believe does not define the true Anish Kapoor. I will say he may have chose a more simple route with the use of materials, and structures with his work at Kensington Gardens. But on the the other hand scale wise the pieces of sculpture's did stand out and could easily be seen. 

Non-Object (Spire) 302 x 300 x 300 Stainless Steel


On it's own it is a strong piece of sculpture, it has a sharp feeling to it, and with the scale it does stand out pretty well between trees. When I first walked into the park I through to myself I will be here for hours trying to find these sculpture's, but i was pretty wrong the scales of these sculpture's are big, and they do catch your eye from metres away. 
I believe if a few more was added around in different scales it would have been maybe a better experience

Sky Mirror, measures 10 metres in diameter.

The boggiest of all sculpture's, even dough I was on the other side of the river to view it on the day as maintenance work was taking place. It felt massive from where I was viewing it, can't imagine how I would have felt if I was close by it. The scale will definitely over shadow anything around it. 
It's a piece on its own again like the rest of the sculptures, having more around wouldn't be as an good idea as like the Non-Object (Spire) as the Sky Mirror on it's own speaks very loud.



Sky Mirror, Red

Similar to Sky Mirror but it's just in red, with a smaller scale and one of the other difference is that it's in the lake. The reflects the changing seasons, colours during the day by time, 

C-Curved Mirror 

Is and distorting mirror, not much can be said. Once seen two of the pieces of works, these last two just did not caught my attention as much as the first two. 
Its just that you know what to expect but just in a different scale, shape and form so the excitement or the interest fades away. The sculptures does not keep you guessing, you don't get questions mark in your mind in what you will be seen next. And this was a big disappointment, I truly expected more. And later finding out that these sculpture's costs thousands of pounds up to £900,000 and all four sculptures are guarded around the clock at a cost estimated to be £120,000 and the exhibition is up till 6months in Kensington Gardens till 13th March 2011. Now I ask the question of is it worth it? My conclusion to Turning the World Upside Down is  a disappointment. When I first read the title it got me, when I saw it was an exhibition of Anish Kapoor I had to see it, had high-expectations returned back home disappointed. Anish Kapoor is an artist to be watched out for, his a artist/ sculptor who has no fear from his imagination, and this brings him to be successful. Everyone has ups and downs, some people may have enjoyed this exhibition and some may have not.

(The photos are taken from the internet, as my photos are not clear due to the weather on the day of my visit was horrible and dark.If requested will be sent to readers)

No comments:

Post a Comment