Friday 3 December 2010

Burle Marx - A Man full of Inspiration

Burle Marx 
(Image taken from web http://www.macumbabeach.com/2010/03/burle-marx.php)
As one of our module for third year we were asked to write an critical essay on a topic of our own interest within Landscape Architecture. I decided to look in to the aspect of how art takes part in landscape architecture, how landscape architects combine art within their designs with the boundaries and limitations they take to make an successful design. Art & Design are both totally two different fields of media, both nowadays are used within landscape designs, which tend to be more artistic and expressive landscapes, art been opinion base and design been based on function and use so how does both blend together. Is Landscape Architecture becoming more of Art forms then Design?

So within my research I looked in to the background of many Landscape Architects who had a background history of Art then later on turned their career path to landscape architect but still had the influence of art within their landscape designs. Burle Marx was one of the Artists/ Landscape Architect caught my interest and has widened my inspiration within how I could approach landscape designs of my own work. 

Burle Marx is a man with talent that doesn't stop, been an Artist as well as Landscape Designer/ Architect, Painter, Sculptor, Jewellery Design, and a Singer what more talent can you ask for. Who has a master creative mind, where all his works are as successful. A great artist, whose mind and heart has no boundaries within his designs in landscape. His designs have a feel of culture and tradition, he combines his artistic mind with his designs.
His work has no boundaries, he doesn't worry about limits, his work has culture, love, passion, and spirit that has gained him an international reputation, these many not be the ideal things Landscape Architects first look into within a design, but surely I could see how different time has changed and how things has developed over the years of art been used within design.

The reason why I was hit by Burle Marx is mainly because I have been searching the right direction for myself as a future landscape architect, not knowing the balance between combining Art and Design in to my projects, I have came to the conclusion that I tend to have a more artistic side in approaching designs and don't much look into design functionality of my projects, this research has opened my outlook and ways how I should be more careful while approaching a design. I personally believe nowadays designs look more into functionality with a style of art involved within the design. 
A great book to read is Burle Marx - The Lyrical Landscape, which is foreword by Martha Schwartz a other very successful Landscape Architect who adds her artistic side to her landscape designs, and also admires Burle Marx's work has one of her inspirations.

As quoted within the book by Martha Schwartz;

'' When I think about Burle Marx, I am stuck by sheer gratitude for his existence. As I have always felt a bit of an outsider to the landscape architecture profession, I am forever searching for those kindred spirits who might guide my own exploration and give me faith that my own direction might be of use and bear fruit. Burle Marx has always been and will remain for me a shining light in the somewhat dim universe of landscape art and architecture.'' 


A book full of inspiration landscapes and garden designs with abstract landscape drawings, the use of bold strong colours. And the true story behind Burle Marx and his success.


(Images are taken from google images)



No comments:

Post a Comment