Friday 28 January 2011

Royal Academy of Arts : Modern British Sculpture


Today I visited the Royal Academy of Arts : Modern British Sculpture. The reason why I was interested to visit this exhibition is because as been interested in sculptural forms and interpretations of feelings and opinion the sculptors want to share, I find it inspiring and it also gives me an different level and path way to experiment and think in. 

The exhibition was very exciting you could see the development in sculpture making from thousands of centuries ago to today's world, and how messages were put across so differently. And also going through each gallery I realised the boundaries and limitations of some sculptures and where others where just over the top, how the sculptors has used all their imagination as possible, and this balance was of the period of the sculpture produced.

Visiting this exhibition was quite influential I saw the different scales of sculpture's and installations that has been made and the extend the sculptor goes through in order to put his message across to the audience. And this made me think of how I could design a landscape how I want it to be, I just have to be more confident, and a bit crazy :) 

One of the pieces that really really truly got my full attention for so long was the  Damien Hirst’s ‘Let’s Eat Outdoors Today’ installation


 I will say this piece not only caught my attention, all the viewers were highly interested and amazed at the extend of this piece and the imagination behind it. It looked horrible, with an actual cow's head under table with an pool of blood, I will say thousands of flies, not the pretties sight but surely does catch your attention. Well then again it's Damien Hirst's after his ''For the Love of God'' sculpture with an asking price of £50million, I think ‘'Let’s Eat OutdoorsToday’' wouldn't even be near £50million .. :)

The exhibition has gave me a insight of the scale and extend artist go through in order to produce work that defines them as an  artist/sculptor, they own style of work. And also how they show this with the installations and sculptures they produce. Maybe It is important to have an style of working in order for people to define and relate your work to you. This exhibition has definitely got me thinking of what's my style of design and how I think? and definitely has questioned my ability for model making and taking that extra step to produce models more uniquely.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment